Posted Sep. 12, 2023
How to Avoid Personal Injury Lawyer Scams
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may be considering hiring a personal injury lawyer. But how do you know if you’re being scammed?
Personal injury lawyer scams, although rare, do happen.
In this article, we’ll uncover the truth about personal injury lawyer scams and how to avoid them. We’ll also provide tips on how to choose a reputable lawyer who can help you get the compensation you deserve.
What Are Some Personal Injury Lawyer Scams?
A personal injury lawyer scam is any attempt by a lawyer to take advantage of someone who has been injured in an accident. Common scams include:
- Charging upfront fees: Personal injury lawyers typically work on a contingency fee basis, which means they only get paid if they win your case. If a lawyer asks you to pay upfront fees, it’s a red flag.
- Promising unrealistic results: No lawyer can guarantee a certain outcome. If a lawyer promises you that you’ll win your case and get a lot of money, it’s probably a scam.
- Not being transparent about their fees: A reputable personal injury lawyer will be upfront about their fees and how they work. If a lawyer is vague or evasive about their fees, it’s a red flag.
- Ambulance Chasing: Ambulance chasers prey on people who have been injured in accidents – and is often why personal injury lawyers get such a bad rap. These scammers, also known as runners, will often show up at the scene of an accident or visit victims in the hospital without an invitation, in an attempt to solicit their business. Legitimate personal injury attorneys will never do this. They know that it is unethical and can damage their reputation. Instead, they will only reach out to potential clients after they have been invited to do so.
How to Avoid Being Scammed by a Personal Injury Lawyer
Here are some tips on how to avoid being scammed by a personal injury lawyer:
- Do your research: Before you hire a lawyer, do your research and ask around for referrals. Talk to friends, family, and colleagues who have hired personal injury lawyers in the past.
- Check with the state bar association: The state bar association can provide you with information about lawyers who have been disciplined for unethical behavior. See State Bar of Texas.
- Interview several lawyers: Don’t just hire the first lawyer you meet. Interview several lawyers and get a feel for their experience, qualifications, and fees.
- Get everything in writing: Before you sign any paperwork, make sure you get everything in writing, including the lawyer’s fees and their contingency fee agreement.
By following these tips, you can avoid being scammed by a personal injury lawyer and get the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been injured in an accident, it’s important to seek legal help as soon as possible. A reputable personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights, file a claim, and negotiate a fair settlement.
Here are some additional tips for avoiding personal injury lawyer scams:
- Be wary of lawyers who promise quick and easy settlements. No lawyer can guarantee a certain outcome. If a lawyer promises you that you’ll get a lot of money quickly and easily, it’s probably a scam.
- Don’t hire a lawyer who pressures you to sign a contract immediately. Take your time and read the contract carefully before you sign it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you don’t understand something, ask the lawyer to explain it to you.
- Don’t hire ambulance chasers. If someone shows up asking you to sign a contract for legal representation, when you’ve never researched hiring an attorney, don’t do it.
Jim Adler & Associates Can Help You.
If you have been injured in an accident, you should not have to go through this alone. For over 50 years, we’ve helped Texans recover compensation after an accident and get justice! Contact our attorneys today.