Jackknife truck accidents are a serious type of truck accident that can cause significant damage and injuries. Jackknife accidents occur when a truck’s trailer swings out to the side, causing the truck to become unstable and overturn.
Jackknife truck accidents are dangerous because they can happen suddenly and without warning. They can also cause a chain reaction of accidents, involving other vehicles on the road.
There are a number of factors that can contribute to jackknife truck accidents, including:
- Speeding: Trucks are more likely to jackknife if they are speeding.
- Improper braking: Trucks require more distance to stop than passenger vehicles. If a truck driver brakes too hard, the trailer can swing out and cause a jackknife accident.
- Poor road conditions: Jackknife accidents are more likely to occur on slippery or icy roads.
- Driver fatigue: Drowsy driving is a major cause of jackknife accidents.
- Truck driver error: In some cases, jackknife accidents can be caused by the truck driver’s negligence, such as failing to maintain the truck properly or failing to obey traffic laws.
Common injuries sustained in jackknife truck accidents
Jackknife truck accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, including:
- Head and neck injuries: These injuries can be particularly serious and can lead to permanent disability.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries can be devastating and can leave victims paralyzed.
- Internal injuries: Internal injuries, such as organ damage, can be life-threatening.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are a common injury in jackknife truck accidents, and can occur in any part of the body.
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a common neck injury that can be caused by sudden acceleration or deceleration.
Why it is important to hire a jackknife truck accident lawyer
Jackknife truck accidents can be complex and challenging cases to navigate. Trucking companies and insurance companies often have teams of lawyers who are experienced in defending these cases. This means that it is important for victims to have their own lawyer who can advocate for their rights and interests.
A jackknife truck accident lawyer can help victims with the following:
- Investigate the accident and gather evidence.
- Negotiate with the trucking company and insurance company to obtain a fair settlement.
- File a lawsuit if necessary.
- Represent victims at trial.
Types of jackknife truck accidents
There are a number of different types of jackknife truck accidents. Some of the most common include:
- Single-vehicle jackknife truck accident: This type of accident occurs when a truck jackknifes without colliding with another vehicle.
- Multi-vehicle jackknife truck accident: This type of accident occurs when a truck jackknifes and collides with one or more other vehicles.
- Chain reaction jackknife truck accident: This type of accident occurs when one truck jackknifes and causes another truck to jackknife, and so on.
How to avoid jackknife truck accidents
There are a number of things that drivers can do to help avoid jackknife truck accidents, including:
- Be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for the possibility of a jackknife truck accident.
- Be extra cautious when driving near trucks, especially in poor visibility conditions.
- Leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the truck in front of you.
- Do not tailgate trucks.
- Be aware of the weather conditions and drive accordingly.
Legal process for jackknife truck accident claims
If you have been injured in a jackknife truck accident, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. The legal process for jackknife truck accident claims can be complex, and it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side.
The first step in the legal process is to file a claim with the trucking company’s insurance company. The insurance company will investigate the accident and determine whether they are liable. If the insurance company agrees that they are liable, they will make a settlement offer.
If the insurance company’s settlement offer is not fair, you may need to file a lawsuit. The lawsuit will be filed in civil court, and a judge or jury will decide whether the trucking company is liable and how much compensation you are entitled to.
Tips for negotiating a fair jackknife truck accident settlement
If you are negotiating a settlement with the trucking company’s insurance company, it is important to be prepared. Here are a few tips:
- Gather evidence. This includes medical records, police reports, and photos of the accident scene.
- Know your rights. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options.
- Be ready to walk away. If the trucking company’s insurance company is not willing to make a fair settlement offer, you may need to be prepared to file a lawsuit. This can be a daunting prospect, but it is important to remember that you have the right to seek the compensation you deserve. If you are prepared to walk away from the negotiation table, the trucking company’s insurance company is more likely to take your demands seriously. Of course, it is always best to try to negotiate a settlement without having to file a lawsuit. But if the insurance company is not being reasonable, you should not be afraid to stand up for your rights.
Jackknife truck accidents can be a devastating experience, both physically and emotionally. If you have been injured in a jackknife truck accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and contact an experienced jackknife truck accident lawyer.
A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options and can fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Jim Adler & Associates Can Help You.
If you have been injured because of a jackknife truck accident, contact our lawyers today to learn more about your legal rights and options. For over 50 years, we’ve been helping Texans fight for justice and the compensation they deserve after getting into an accident with a big rig.